Bok choy, also called Chinese cabbage, is a cool weather crop that grows in the spring and fall. Bok choy grows best when planted directly from seed in early spring or fall. You can also start seedlings indoors and then transplant them outdoors. Today we'll show you how to grow bok choy directly from seed and get the most delicious crop you've ever had!
How to Grow Bok Choy From Seed
Planting Bok Choy:
- Bok choy can be planted early in the spring or in the fall. This way, you can get two crops
- It takes about 40-45 days for bok choy to be ready for harvest.
- Start with rich, loose, well draining soil.
- Plant each seed 1/2 inch apart and tamp soil.
- Fertilize after planting.
- Seedlings should emerge after 7 to 10 days.
- Thin seedlings 6-10 inches apart.
- Place each row 18 to 30 inches apart.
- Keep weeds away.
Harvesting Bok Choy:
- Harvest bok choy before the hot weather sets in. Otherwise, your plant will go directly to seed.
- Harvest once your bok choy reaches 12 to 18 inches in height.
Caring for Bok Choy:
- Minimal care needed.
- Water as needed, when soil is dry.
- Keep away from full sun – partial sun is best.